Learn how to recreate it at home: A lovely hair style that looks amazing just as it is or with flowers added. I even reckon it’s a great bridal do when you like things a little imperfect.
February 15, New York, NY
Aveda lead stylist Odile Gilbert created beautiful hair at the Rodarte Autumn/Winter 2011 show: “Kate and Laura’s collection evokes the pastoral beauty of the Great Plains during the golden hours of dawn and dusk. We wanted to create a windswept look with natural texture - like a girl in the plains was caught in a windstorm and left with beautiful hair.”
HAIR STEP BY STEP BY ODILE GILBERT FOR AVEDA:
1. Apply Phomollient Styling Foam to damp hair for weightless volume. Blow-dry while using hands to scrunch and twist the hair for texture. Use your fingers to create a strong, slightly imperfect, left side part for a natural look.
2. When hair is partially dry, take a two-inch piece from the front, right side of the hair—at the hairline—and twist it so that it swoops loosely over the right eye. Secure with a bobby pin just above the right ear. Finish drying the hair, continuing to use fingers to add texture.
3. Release the pin from above the right ear and release side swept hair. Spray that piece liberally with Air Control Hair Spray for flexible hold and blow it dry.
4. Gather all hair on the right shoulder. Take a two-inch section from the hairline on the back, left side of the head and gently twist it while pulling it over to the right side of the head, at the ear.
5. Pull a two-inch section of hair from the hairline in front of the right ear and twist with the section pulled from the back to create a small, two-to-three-inch herringbone braid. Secure with a clear elastic. Tie the section of hair coming from the clear elastic into small knots, concealing the elastic and adding texture to the look.
6. Pull the ultra-textured section of hair from the front and drape it over the right eye. Tuck the ends of that front piece between the braid and the hair that is down and secure on the right side—at the ear—with a bobby pin. Coat hair with Air Control Hair Spray for hold.
7. Add texture to the look by rubbing small sections of hair between the thumb and forefinger. Arrange all remaining hair to the right so that it falls over the right shoulder. Scrunch ends of hair with fingers for extra texture and finish the look with a generous mist of Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
On the catwalk. “We wanted the hair to look naturally windswept for this season. Odile brought that to life beautifully." - Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte.
PS. Did you know Rodarte designed Natalie Portmans costumes for the film Black Swan?
AVEDA PRODUCTS USED:
Phomollient Styling Foam
Air Control Hair Spray
Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray
See video with Odile and the designer sisters at the show here. And the show and more interviews here.